Jov sez: Do as I say…November 4, 2008
Becoming the perfect Priest is more of a process than an event, and everyone (even yours truly!) is still a work in progress. Shocking as it may seem, my perfection is still largely theoretical, as I choose to illustrate now with a few points.
1. I’m a lazy item enhancer. Seriously, Seri wouldn’t approve my application. Sure, I gem my gear, enchant my weapons… I’m all for useful bonuses. Cloaks, however, are totally not worth it. If it’s not a Resist cloak enchanted with the necessary resist bonus (Fire for Rags, Nature for AQ40, and more recently Shadow for Mother) I just don’t do it. (I know, I know, Subtlety. But have you SEEN the threat gen of tanks since 3.0? 2% less threat on my part is totally not worth the farming up of 8 Primal Shadow the enchant needs. So nyeh.)
2. My rarely-played, mostly-retired Alliance priest (and my resto druid, for that matter) still has mp5 gems in her gear. Yep! Me, the first one in the parade screaming against the use of Royal gems still has them lurking in the back of her closet. This is related to the point above, I don’t have money on that side of the fence anymore (as I sent most of it over when I rerolled) and the urge to do dailies to improve gear on characters I play once a month is… not really there, actually. New gems in new gear (if applicable) will be fixed, however. Promise.
3. Healer Tunnel Vision: I has it. My UI was designed to keep my chat frames, Grid frames, and all the information I need as close to “together” as possible. This is because I know the more different places I need to look for information I have, the more likely something is going to be totally missed (like the whispers for Fear Ward rotation on Archi… oops.) I may not be standing in the fire, but only because my eyes are locked to the bottom 1/3 of my screen.
4. In the spirit of tracking improvements, I flash healed my way through Molten Core before I learned what downranking was. (This was before Flash was good for anyone but pallies, fyi.) My knowledge of my class consisted entirely of “I read the tooltips on my spells and talents” through 6 months of pre-TBC raiding. A few friends eventually took me under their wing, and introduced me to a whole new world of not-sucking.
5. For the longest time, I did no actual research on my class. I’d read the stickie’d priest posts on the official class forums, but felt for the most part that they were entirely filled with whining and emo. I avoided them, and got my information by waiting patiently for my friends to tell me what I needed to know. Eventually, I found out they were getting their information from a site called Elitist Jerks and gave it a poke.
6. Also related to the above, I had no idea that WoW Blogs existed before ~6 months ago. Yes, another blindingly obvious possibility that I didn’t even think of until someone (in this case, Seri) pointed ’em out to me. (I also never followed blogs in general before then because I had no idea about rss and feed readers. Yes, I’m totally participating in this century, why do you ask?)
So there’s me: practically perfect in every way or a totally clueless noob who needs to unplug? You decide (but don’t tell me… my ego is a precious and fragile thing.)