Jov sez: In Defense of Wacky SpecsMay 26, 2009
Last week, one of my priesties (Hai Mira!*) sent me a PM asking for my feedback on some talent changes she was considering. As anyone who’s read this blog knows, I’m pretty damned opinionated as to how to properly spec. However, I do also try to keep a (somewhat) open mind to things which might make sense based on current needs, either of the player or of the content. I’m also willing to give a good bit more thought to something that comes from someone I trust to not be a total mouthbreather, but that’s neither here nor there.
Essentially the gist comes to this: My little priestie (Hai Mira!**) has been doing research, reading blogs, keeping up on her talents (exactly like I like them to do) and approached me with the thought of using a build first proposed by Derevka a couple weeks ago. She gave me the build, made certain I had a link to the post, and (re-)explained the reasoning behind the various talents. Essentially she (HAI MIRA!***) did everything right to break through my consistant knee-jerk reaction to some of the talents she proposes to take/skip and take on faith that she’s experimenting with a plan.
That’s not to say I immediately agreed with her. Anyone asking my opinion directly is going to get it. The reply I sent back goes like this:
Personally, I’ve never liked Spell Warding, for the reasons you mention. I’ve seen people argue taking it when faced with constant raid-wide unavoidable damage (it was very big in SWP), it seemed very much “drop in the bucket”y vs Greater Heal. Of course, with the death of downranking, I can also understand not wanting to sacrifice points in something which improves a spell you rarely use.
I’ll totally trust your judgment re: GHeal usage vs hope of taking the edge off certain spell effects for better survivability. That’s a personal call.
Re: Healing Focus. I’m just snagging a random WWS to take a look at your spell useage here. (5/7 Ulduar is what I clicked on). Pushback doesn’t matter on your instants (CoH, renew, ProM, etc, which was ~70% of your healing done for the night) but will help with Flash, Greater, and PoH (~30% of your healing done). Again, I know that your spell selection is going to vary by fight.
Summing up my thoughts on the proposed spec change:
1) Spell Warding is very little bang for 5 talent points. It can help on some fights, but I’m personally biased against taking talents which are so very situational, generally speaking.
2) How much are you facing pushback in a given week?
3) If you are needing a greater heal, is the lack of reduced cast time going to hurt? What about the loss of the mana reduction?
4) I understand the logic behind the changes, I only wonder at the applicability.
5) I wouldn’t make the changes myself. However, I fully acknowledge that I am not you, my style is not yours, and my biases are my own. I’m very pro- trying stuff out to see what works. My main issue (which you’ve already resolved) is just following something weird you dug up somewhere and try as the hot new thing without actually giving it thought. I know that doesn’t apply, so consider this the green light. I very much look forward to how this works for you.
See? I can totally be open-minded.
When it comes down to it, some amount of healing is still based on personal style. If I trust you through reading or personal experience enough to know you know what you’re doing, I’m very capable of acknowledging that some tweaks might not necessarily improve your throughput, but might help you out in other ways.
This is also not the only spec discussion going on in-guild at the moment, as I’m privy to a bit of a disagreement between two people I trust highly in knowing what they’re talking about. I think it’s somewhat resolved, with a “try both of the specs for a week and give them a fair shot” plan in the works. I just hope that one can forget the mathbook and the other can give cookie cutter an open mind long enough for the test to be fair. But we’ll see.
In other news, AXIOM IS STILL RECRUITING! We’re particularly wanting a tree and a holy priest! Trees will get plenty of fertilizer from the streams of BS in guild chat and vent! Priests! You’ll get a kick-ass priest crew. You’ll also down bosses. Axiom needs YOU!
* Didn’t know I was gonna do this in a post, didja?
** Bet you wish you didn’t say something when I was racking my brain for this week’s post, huh?
*** You’re really gonna kill me, now, aren’t you?